Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Politics of Helping


When the fuck did it get so difficult to help other people? If you wonder why the world sucks so bad sometimes .. Well it is because people are cynical and don't want to get involved. It is because people are afraid to do something wrong, so they don't do anything.

Our city officials sent a letter to the local churches saying they would only supply food baskets to the needy this Christmas, not toys. They have asked the churches to take care of the toys.

I brought this up to our Rotary group today. Boy, did I hear shit! Well this is a lot to organize. Isn't there someone else who can do this?

Okay, ya its a lot of work. I have helped in the past with this. We have collected toys at most every December blood drive. We have helped distribute them when I was in the Jaycees. I know-- its work. But ya know what... It's work we could do. It's not that hard. This group of people has so much. They can write a check to make the project go away.


That is not the point. The point is there are people in need. And this group of upstanding business people sat in silence while we -- correction-- I--discussed those in need. Obviously, no one else in this group has ever gone without at Christmas.

I remember I got a Barbie Beauty Parlor from my aunt at Christmas one year. The only problem was I didn't own a Barbie doll and we didn't have enough money to buy one.

How will sort out who needs what? They could just be using the system. What is the liability?

SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY! IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HELP-- FINE-- STOP MAKING EXCUSES, WRITE YOUR CHECK PAYABLE TO "NOT IN MY BACK YARD" AND LET ME AND OTHER LIKE MINDED PEOPLE-- MOSTLY CHILDREN AND TEENAGERS WHO CARE-- DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE.

Okay, nothing was decided-- not for or against helping. But once again, I feel this is going to be an uphill battle. I am going to talk to my kids and their friends. At least they care.

2 comments:

Allan said...

That was outstanding. You should blog when you are angry more often.

I do hear ya- and I did listen!- and I agree that it's frustrating sometimes, some of our volunteers quit as soon as they find out that there is work involved. But most stick around- we keep each other encouraged. All you can do is try.

This question caused you to swear:
"What is the liability?"
I don't blame you. It sucks.
What's worse, it's actually a valid question when it really shouldn't be- there are people who would gladly sue anyone they could- they'd make up crap about how the toy fucked-up their kid and, sadly, they'd probably win.

So, the children lose out because the adults cannot trust each other.

Traditional.

Anonymous said...

You take on a lot.....very admirable.

slr