Monday, August 21, 2006

Chicago with Julien


Yesterday we took Julien to Chicago. This was his first visit to the big city. I have to admit, my family and I really enjoyed showing him the town I called home for almost 30 years of my life.

There is so much to see in the city. I love being a there. Sometimes I actually forget how much I loved being young in Chicago.

Taking Julien there reminded me of exploring the city as a teenager.

Back in the days of high school, we'd step out of our comfort zone, on to a bus, and into unknown territories for adventure, friendship and of course romance.

The Austin Street bus to me to my best friend Kathy's house and to a neighborhood called The Island.

The Blue Line train took me to see Jeff Sexton, the drummer I had a huge crush on.

Then there was Jefferson Park-- the transportation hub that got me to countless concerts and parties. You could get to anywhere in the city from Jefferson Park.

I want Julien to feel comfortable exploring Chicago. I hope he will venture into the town on his own in the future. Come to think of it, when my kids are older I hope they do the same. I know the city can be a bad place, but it can be sooo much fun too.

Wouldn't it be great if before Julien leaves he could...
  • meet interesting people who actually live in Chicago
  • take in a concert on his own
  • avoid a fight or two
  • break one heart
  • make one life long friend
  • show someone from Harvard the city of Chicago
  • visit at least 5 museums 2 times each
Julien is a fun kid. Very respectful. He has a keen sense of humor and is really beginning to open up to us as a family-- even beating up his younger brother on occasionally!

After the city we went to our liaison's home. We played Apples to Apples, a word association game. There were several AFS kids, there host families, and Julien's aunt and uncle family- Gerry the dad, Barb the mom, Ashley the 17 year old, and Mike the 10 year old.

Ashley was the "judge" at the center of the game. The word--sensual. Every player needed to pick a card from their hand that they thought was sensual. Ashley was quite embarrassed as she read the words. She had to pick the best match. Some were rather funny and we parents joked and laughed as they were read. Well, all except for the card that read "horseback riding". At the reading of this card, Ashley looked confused and the parents all avoided eye contact with each other. This was a very "sensual" card, but since Ashley is naive and innocent, we parents didn't let on or explain any further. Personally I just thought one of the adults felt they had a good match and Ashley just didn't get it. No harm done. The game continued on and it was great fun.

shortly after we left, Julien struck up a conversation about the game. "I think maybe in America things are different-- horseback ridding isn't considered sensual?"

There is more to this kid than I thought.

"No, Julien. You got the definition correct and the it was a great word-- we American's are just a bit up tight. I think well-- no one wanted to go there. "

He smiled and felt better.

His blog is titled "you have no idea" I think he is right! I have no idea!

By the way-- thank you Sling for the browser info-- it translates his blog rather well!

3 comments:

Sling said...

This is absolutely terrific!
I'm having so much fun reading about your adventures with Julien.
I've no doubt this will continue to be a wonderful experience for all of you!
Glad the browser is working out for you.. :)

Allan said...

I echo Sling!

Great kid, great city and a wonderful tour guide!
The word game story was great- we are a weird culture when seen from outside.

Blogger sends me letters about my comments here- undeliverable?- but here goes nothing...click!

Citymouse said...

sling- yep, my only worry is he can read english :)

allan- the thing seems to be working now, thanks for the heads up.