Monday, October 08, 2007

I had a really great time on my day out!

The exhibit at MCA kicked my butt! Really.

The exhibit got some crappy reviews in the Chicago Trib, but I think that is because those who reviewed it had no clue 'about underground and, modern art.

Seeing Zines behind glass just about flipped me over. Walking on the floor covered with records from the past 30 years or so, picking up a poster that said "what would Neil Young do?" and watching a Cramps video ... ya... this exhibit was made for me and me alone. I don't think any of my friends would have been able to enjoy it on the level I did. Ya know... the bday.. my past experiences ....growing up in Chicago... my own memories of the underground and my adventures with impulse manslaughter... ya... no one would get it the way I did.

By the way... that Neil Young poster is now hanging up in our Sunday school room! You got to serve somebody.....

After a sandwich at flat Stanly's, I went up to the 95 for a couple of martinis. It is one of those great places that can sit by myself, drink and not have to worry. Not that I really worry too much, but my husband does, so it is better to let him know I was there, rather than someplace in wriglyville with a bunch of true drunk cub fans.

So I sat and read a book I acquired at the museum "This band can be your life" (I'm going to guess Allen http://camelsback23.blogspot.com/ is the only person who reads my blog who knows who's tag line that is.)

As I was sitting there I caught this great shot
Be sure to click it to look at it close up.





















From there it was a walk to Millennium Park for more pictures of the world as I see it.























Then it was dinner at the Russian Tea Room. I always wanted to go there, have dinner and vodka, and I did. I could use to this place! Food was good. Sounds and smells reminded me of my Ukrainian grandparents who have been gone for many years.

Then, the walk to the train...


And time for one more before the long ride home... oh... and i was flirted with too. Or at least people of the opposite sex were polite to me.
Just little smiles, chats at dinner and at the bar... ya... a good day by my standards.

14 comments:

Pat said...

Sigh. Your fotos of Chicago make me homesick! The "bean" and the "spitting face" weren't there yet, the last time I was in Chicago -- but your fotos still, somehow, make me homesick!

Glad you had a great day off! You so deserve it!

Anonymous said...

You did more in your 1 day off than I usually do all year.

Citymouse said...

Curious-- it was the lion & the spider... that's what did it!

jp-- oh no... not ture, I saw the pics from Lorrian's party! and I read your blog... you do alot, you just dont kiss and tell like i do!

Lorraine said...

Great pics, great day...I'm so happy for you. I really need to do something like that, dammit. Of course, I wouldn't mind doing it in Chicago but still.

Cool spider pic. Even though I loathe and abominate spiders and it was all I could do to enlarge the piccy. The things I do for love...

Sling said...

Fine storytelling through pics there CM!..and I'm pretty sure people of the opposite sex being polite to you qualifies as flirting...Oh yes...Young girls flirt with me all the time!

TK Kerouac said...

hi
I'm sending you a private invite to my blog
but will need your gmail address
mine is traceykwhite@gmail.com
ttyl
Tracey

Nate James said...

Looks like you had a great day. I haven't been to Chicago in over a year. I miss the sights, the architecture, the smells, the food, the homeless... ahh Chicago :)

Allan said...

Great pics- so familar, yet so far away- no Chicago trip for me this year- glad you went.
I honestly can't remember the first time I heard that line or who used it ...Thurston Moore? I googled it and only found you- you are #1!

Traveling Matt said...

i meant to go to that! I wound up going to see of montreal at the metro instead. dang. it was worth it though :)

Middle Child said...

From down under...its all new to me...thanks for the intorduction.

Fuff said...

Ackackackack. I mite have been gearing up for a decent comment there, until I saw the flippin' huge spider. Errrrrrrrrrk!

: said...

Great Pics!

Citymouse said...

Nate-- you should have seen the deceberists there!

Lorrain- if you didnt have so many house guest all the time, you could come back--- :)
or when i win that lottery we will do the world blogger tour!

Sling--- i have seen the woman you hang with (on your blog)and it is ture-- young girls do flirt with you!

TK thank you!

Allen it is a line from the Minute men song History Lesson Part II

Monica how about you be me for a while and Ill be you? Oh it is still free like all month so you should go!

Middle child -- come up and ill show you around!

Fuff--- thought you'd like that!

Ts-- thank you! Welcome to my lil world

more cowbell said...

OK, so was that a picture of a huge silver dildo?