Monday, October 15, 2007

Buy a round for the bar!!!

"Buy a round for the bar!" Some of the most wonderful words you can hear on a Saturday night right before closing!

I had a great weekend with my girlfriend in the city.

This is my most popular girlfriend. She has friends from all around the world. She is a sought after party buddy. She is friendly, attractive, & speaks her mind. I have known her for about 20 years--- who would have thought????

We met at a bar many years ago. I was drinking with some friends. It was a neighborhood place where many of the people I went to high school with would also come to drink (gee...was I even 21 yet?, maybe not!)

As I am sitting there pounding watermelon shots (ekkk, i don't think i could stomach one of those today) a young woman comes up to me and say

"hey, is he okay?"
"who" I reply
"Him" she points to one of the guys hanging around with the kids I knew from school.
"Oh, ya, he's okay"
"Okay thanks"

I didn't think much of the incident until the following week at the bar when this same girl comes up to me and say...

"Hey, what the hell, you told me that guy was okay and he was a fucking freak. that is totally uncool."
"Oh my God!!! I am soooo sorry! I thought you were just joking around! I didn't know you really wanted my opinion! I just thought you were creating conversation. I didn't really know him, I just knew his friends-- we when to school together. Here let me get you a drink!"

It is a good thing my friend is laid back and has a good sense of humor. This conversation could have gone badly. It didn't. It started a long standing friendship.

Anywho... I got to be alone with my friend! No group, no boy friends, no husband, no random people vying for her attention! She was all mine! I didn't have to share her.

So we ate did shots of Vodka at the Russian tea room ---- now becoming one of my favorite down town places. We had the dinner for two with all the Russian goodies. We had more vodka, and then thanks to one of my best blogger buddies Monica we went down town to the Macy's music fest. We were going to see Mucca Pazza, but instead opted for the film Nosferatu with the band Tortoise doing the music for this silent classic.

Then it was off to an Irish bar on the north side where we had fire fighters, police officers, and electricians buy us numerous rounds. I drank vodka all night long!
Truth be told, I spent $20 at the bar. I bought two beers -- one for the guy who made me an origami boot out of a two dollar bill, and the other for a Chicago cop who promised me I wouldn't have to call my buddies back home for bail money if I ever get in trouble in Chicago-- I should just drop his name instead. The other $15 I left as a tip for our wonderful bar tender.

Got back to my friends house, passed out, woke up, went to the bar she works at, watched the bears play, took a train home.

I miss the city so much. I miss being with girlfriends who know and understand me. I am really glad I had this weekend and I had my friend all to myself to talk with. She so gets me!

Oh.... and about the last post, in case those of you who didn't get it. I made a comment about running into an ex, just for fun. You know those little romantic comedy clips we all wish we had in our lives. I need to be careful what I wish for-- or maybe just wish bigger.

So there is this persons at his son's pee-wee foot ball game and kept hearing my last name for a boy on the other team. He believed the boy to be my son-- and so he googled me. And emailed me.

My friend is married and happy, but wrote me, knowing I'm turning 40 this month. (I still cant believe after about 25 years he would remember my birthday. We met back in 81 and then saw each other at a 10 year HS reunion)
Some very flattering things were said. Then I sent him my myspace page with my current pictures. More flattering things were said!

I got my wish. Ego boosted.
So, I spent $2 on lottery tickets while I was in Chicago.

My only regret is, once again, not enough pictures. There is one of me, and that is it. I need some paparazzi!!!!

9 comments:

SIMON said...

Oh a great time with your real friends - the ones that stick around through thick and thin.
You've all but won the lottery already.

Traveling Matt said...

hey! i have some friends that decided not to come to great america on saturday just so that they could see toroise and watch nosferatu. i'm glad you had fun. next time you're here, give a holler and i will come out and play too!

Citymouse said...

ebezp--- In some ways I guess I have.
Monica- If I hit the "big one" could I hire you as my personal party consultant? I am coming back to the city on Oct 26 (2 days b4 the big 40) and again am trying to get a plan. I have two very diverse girls who are going with me, one married and a bit conservative the other a single, former dancer, with the mouth of a truck driver --- I am open to suggestions!!

Traveling Matt said...

dude...count me in. i can round up at least a portion of the entertainment.

SpongyBones said...

Love seeing old friends. Reminds you that things aren't always as bad as teh seem. No matter how old you may feel :)

Lorraine said...

I'm glad you had so much fun. You deserve it, ya little hottie.

Pat said...

Oct. 28th huh - I'll have to remember that! (^_^)

It's so fun hearing of all the fun you had - brings back a lot of memories!

Lorraine said...

Hey! The Spouse's b'day is October 28, too! Cool.

Allan said...

What a cool weekend in a great city.
Some of it sounds so familiar...toddle on!