Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Some words are sad to say some leave me tongue tied but the hardest words I know are I love you good bye

Guys-- I really do lived a charmed life!

Folks-- the only reason I haven't won the lottery is because i am already richly blessed.

We took Swiss son to the airport today. Ya, it hasn't even sunk in yet. I've cried on and off, I wrote him a letter-- I didn't say half of what I should have, because I didn't want to be a total blubbering idiot.

But wait!
There is something else. Something other than driving to the 24 hour walmart at 2AM to pick up a new suit case because we didnt have enough room in the ones we were packing.

Something other than reading every comment here ad on myspace and wanting to cry. Something other than missing him to death already!!!

We arrived at the airport a good 3 hours before the time he would have to leave us and go to his gate. We wanted to make sure there was no trouble with his ticket or baggage, since there was so much of it.

We took his three (very heavy and over weight)check-in bags to the ticket agent. The young woman informed us that there would be an extra charge for the 3rd bag. "Yes, I know $125, we still need to weigh the others, there may be an extra charge for them as well."
Ekkk-- every back was over weight!(a $25 per bag charge)
"I know Miss,I'm sorry, what's the damage-- it was hard packing up all his things, just let us pay"

The attended responded "Well, since you know, lets just call it even!"

So all we had to pay for was the extra bag!!!

While she double checked the Swiss son's ticket, my other two children start shouting out "Mom, look who is here! It's Mrs. W and Mrs. K and Miss E from school!!!"

Low and behold, standing behind us in line at the Swiss Air counter were 3 teachers from the grammar school and Jr. High. They all teach in our home town!! They are from here!! They are from our home!!! They are going to travel Switzerland!!! ! They will be on the flight with him-- they will take him home!!! He wont be leaving us-- he literally will be taking us (our town, our people) with him!!!

I couldn't believe it! Home town people were transferring him home to his parents.
I cant even begin to tell you the relief this gave me. And really-- we are talking about a CHICAGO airport-- it's not we found out later-- there they were right behind us in line!!! What are the odds of that?????

I know it is stupid, but it made things so much easier for me. Ya, I still am crushed. Ya, I still haven't had it all sink in -- and I still cant believe he's gone but for some reason seeing familiar trusted faces, and knowing they were traveling with him made it not as bad. It made the world a little smaller and gave me some comfort.

my dearest swiss son....
if you read this, know that i miss you and love you. I will be the biggest pest on email-- you might even block me! But it's okay. Oh, I found more pictures that I need to send, and your scarf, -- oh crap, I'll just email you later. Love ya!!!

15 comments:

Sling said...

I just said "wow" out loud while reading this...How cool is that,having friends take him home.
You're a good American mom Mouse.

robkroese said...

Awww, so sweet. And that did work out amazingly well. Glad to hear it.

Allan said...

That is great- a trusted escort home. What a nice, unexpected touch.
When are you going to Switzerland?

Br. Jonathan said...

You are so sweet! Like I said, he was so very fortunate to have you in his life.
My parents hosted three exchange students from the same Swedish family, one after the other. My folks are still amazingly close to them all. They've all come back for multiple visits as well as their parents. My folks have visited over there as well. It will be a life-long relationship.
And that's as it should be.

SIMON said...

Oh I do feel for you. Let's just thank god for the internet, it should make it a bit easier for you!
His journey home will have been good and I can see how that'll make you feel a bit better.
Hell it's not that far to Switzerland......
If it all gets too much E me ok?
Take care!

ginaemory said...

Wow! That is just so amazingly cool! I am sitting here with tears in my eyes imagining how you feel now, how you'll feel tomorrow, and how seeing your hometown folks in that airport made you feel. What a bed of mixed emotions! And thank God for the internet! I hope you have Skype or some other cheap method of talking on the phone! Having a cheap calling card to call my son on his cell while he was in France made it seem like he was just at school and I could go see him anytime. Made it all bearable. Hugs, Mouse! Email me anytime if you need a shoulder, okay?

Citymouse said...

Just saw him online :) he's home safe!!! I feel so sad, but better I guess
Oh, and Im holding you guys to this, i just may need a shoulder

Kelly said...

I hate airport goodbyes. Especially since now you have to say goodbye at the curb.

Lorraine said...

Shoulder, reporting for duty.

That is such a great story...charmed indeed.

ginaemory said...

My shoulders are strong and broad, and at the ready! I'm so glad you've connected with him online! THAT is going to be so great. Imagine what it was like "in the olden days" when exchange students left their host families, and the only form of affordable communication was a pen, paper, and the post office. I suspect many a kid failed to stay in touch, since so many kids are so bad at writing letters. Nowadays, they're on the internet before they even brush their teeth! So much easier to stay in touch. I feel so much better now! :)

Iwanski said...

Niceness.

Traveling Matt said...

i'm sure Swiss son was just as happy to see you online. and nice that some hometowners got to see him off too.

Anonymous said...

I suspect your impact on him is as permanent as his impact on you.

It's been beautiful hearing how your family grew so suddenly and without missing a beat. The transition back will take longer, but you'll make it.

Screw it. I'm sad too.

le p'tit chef said...

i miss and love you too mom! julien

ginaemory said...

Okay, now I'm really going to cry. Julien commented on this blog!!!! What great kid he is!!! I went to his blog, but I don't speak whatever language he's writing in. Drat! Julien, you are a great, great kid! And I'm getting all choked up.