Monday, July 23, 2007


525,600 minutes ago we made a decision
To take someone into our home—a boy, a kid, a young man

He arrived on a Thursday in August. There were balloons and signs and he brought us gifts and we didn’t expect it and we were overwhelmed.

That weekend, my husband and son left for a fishing trip. Our Swiss son (as he as now know throughout thee world) would have to stay with me. And what did I have planned? My sisters baby shower. So he attended. I tried to make it seem like it was normal for him to be there.

Swiss son then met the entire family – my sister, my dad, my best friends, my cousins, my aunts everyone was there. It was a celebration of life. And he was celebrating right along with us, even though he didn’t know us.

Then, life happened. There was school and parties and love and heartbreak. There was snow and sun. There was laughter and tears. And most recently, there was death

My father’s cousin Pauline passed away, she was only 65. We packed up the family, Swiss kid included, and drove to the southern suburbs.

The car ride gave us all time to talk. To think about our own mortality. To think about are expectations and our goals and the opportunities we miss.

At the funeral, Pauline’s 3 daughters were crushed. All three girls have young families. One of the saddest moments was when the 4 year old twins asked out loud at the church—why is grandma in there.

As is common in the Italian tradition, after the services we all met for lunch. The restaurant was a buzz with broken English, Italian, and the shouts of young children.
I saw 3 cousins who I haven’t seen in years
“Your Clara’s kids”
“No we’re Bernadette’s kids, Clara was our grandma. She took the tree of us in when our mom died during childbirth”

Ahhh… now it makes sense!
I have been told by my grandmother the story of how we came to live with her.
My parents were in no shape to take care of us. Their habits had drawn the attention of law enforcement and my grandparent felt it was only a matter of time until they were incarcerated. My mother’s parents wanted to take me, because I was potty trained, but felt they were unable to take in my sister, because she was so young. At first, my father’s parents thought that was a logical solution. Divide the responsibility. But it was Aunt Clara, as I was told, who insisted that sisters not be separated. She didn’t just say it, she knew it fist hand. She was in the process of raising three children; keeping a family together. She had wisdom and passed it on.

So here we are. My Swiss son has been full circle with this family.

Life
Death

And in between, all the love I could muster up to give.
He leaves Tuesday.
But the scar on my heart
to the right of what is good
And to the left of forever
...is him

10 comments:

SIMON said...

Oh citymouse that is lovely. Sharing that here just shows that there are good friends here, understanding friends. You girl are something just to the right of special and left of normal.

Citymouse said...

thanks for being here-- you made me smile

Traveling Matt said...

Here or in away, at least you know he'll always be a part of your large extended Italian/English/broken English family...life death and in-between.

Interstingly enough, my family that lives in Switzerland is in town right now!

ginaemory said...

I could not possibly read that post, or think of your boy leaving, without tearing up. I am crying with you, but I know he will always be "your" son as much as he is his parents' son. It won't make it hurt less, though. Wish I could do something.... hugs.

Bugwit said...

If it makes you feel any better, my sister-in-law married a Belgian exchange student. He still visits his host mother regularly, after 20 years.

Lorraine said...

Bon voyage, Swiss Son! You're a great kid.

Mouse, I've said it before, I'll say it again, SS was b-l-e-s-s-e-d to live with your family this last year. You too the chance, opened your hearts and now none of you will ever be the same.

Hugs.

Susan as Herself said...

That is a great post---love the story, and he will not forget his time there.

Allan said...

Good Clara! Keeping the siblings together is important...my twin and I were split up a lot. It was bad for us.

Bon Voyage J! Many happy returns!

Citymouse said...

Guys.. thank you all so much!!!!
Monica-- if your relations are from Wallis-- Im going to die, right here!

more cowbell said...

Hey, thanks for sharing -- I know that had to be hard. It was hard for me to leave my Hungarian landlord's family, and very hard for them to see my kids go, too.

We brought their eldest daughter here to the states summer before last -- she had a lot of fun.

At the risk of sounding pat, your time and influence in his life is something he'll always carry with him.