
My blog friend,The Wizened Wizard, had a dream. A bad dream. And she posted a really disturbing cartoon about Country Mouse. I haven't had a chance to talk with her about the dream. I find dreams fascinating.
Do you dream in color? I very rarely dream in color. My dreams seem to be like the back and white TV that my grandparents had. The picture is always a bit blurry and I feel like i need to adjust the antenna-- but i can make it all out.
I was taught by both sets of my grandparents that dreams have meaning. That dreams can reveal thing about the awake world and its people.
My grandmother on my father's side, the one I lived with, taught me about symbols in dreams. She was the one who told me
- Rain Stand for tears and sadness
- If your teeth fall out you are nervous
- Falling is feeling out of control
- Death is birth, and sometimes rebirth
- Weddings mean death
and many other things.
Grandma never prepared me for the other dreams I would have. The ones I still continue to have today.
I feel a bit uncomfortable talking about it. It doesn't happen all the time.
I use to think I could pick out "those" dreams.
I cant.
My dreams come and some times they come true.
It has been happening since I was about 5. I could see things in my dreams that were going on in the world out there. I can remember several from my childhood
Predicting my uncle would have a broken arm
Knowing the color of my aunts funeral gown
For telling the death of a very young family friend
When I accepted Christianity, the first time as an adult catholic, I had a hard time with this. The work of the devil-- or so I was told. Coincidence. Foolishness.
No. For me it is not.
I have come to terms with the fact that all gifts are from God.
This is just a gift that many don't like to think about.
It is not a picnic-- to know things, to see thing, and to have people ask for guidance.
Just a few of my last thoughts on this
- All dreams mean something --even if it is just don't eat so much or that you are watching way too may Star Trek re-runs.
- If we watch the world, everything is connected
- Not all talents are a blessing all the time
- Not all things that are perceived as evil are
- Good exists in the world
Thanks for the heads up Wizard! I'll look both ways.
16 comments:
I think most of mine mean that I watch too much TV, period. Star Trek, Law & Order, Project Runway ... all jumbled together with blog friends, my grocery list and that strange man who always asks for my spare change when I go to the library. Just lately they're all gaudily decorated with the Christmas stuff that is still in the bins in the shed & will probably stay there this year. Hruuuumph! Maybe that means that I have to buy a tree, pretty it up and acknowledge the season? I should listen to my dreams, maybe?
Nice blog. Nice thoughts. Mahalo to Dirk for the intro. Can I come back and visit again sometime?
as i read this i just remembered the day i dreamed about something i didn't hear about before and the same day, you told me it was in the news... i see more and more, how many things in life are connected, and i don't give a damn shit if there are some people thinking i'm being crazy...
but still, there's something about everything that happens like you use to say, i'm sure there is...
besides.. stealing my picture, huh??? well, i was not even gonna look at it another time probably, it's not what i wanted... but i'm surprised you used it ;)
I dream vividly, in color, and remember most of my dreams upon waking. I have had dreams that have come true too (although it has been a while). And any Christian who says that those kind of dreams are the work of the devil obviously haven't read their bible.
Ring-a-ling?
I didn't have my first dream in color 'till I was in my 30's.Now I can experience mostly reds,blues,and yellows.My most remarkable dreams occur in the "first person",where I am on the inside looking out as it were.
The women in my family are notable for their prophetic dreams.perhaps I'll blog about that at some future date.
You are wise in the way of gifts.
I dream in crayola visions of black velvet technicolor.
I dream in words...
I do dream in color and have long believed that everyone has a personal dream vocabulary--that the colors and images aren't so much about a universal system of decoding, but about what things mean to you. So I often ask myself, what does blue mean to me? What does a Marshall Fields bag mean for me?
I also think they reveal things on all sorts of levels, and that we pick up clues all around us that allow us to dream about things that might happen.
This is very cool that you've got this and I'm glad you cherish it.
"I dream without pictures
A vision of words
I'm dreaming of sounds
That no one has heard"
-some guy
I'm happy to report that I do dream in color, but wasn't sure when you first posed the question. And then in this dream last night mom had bought a new rug and the colors were quite vivid.
That made me feel good.
Do you dream in color? OMG thats a freakin good question :D i will try to pay attention tonight
Ah, dear Mouse, you have given us a very interesting peep-hole into yourself and some things to ponder. I love your statement, "The picture is always a bit blurry and I feel like i need to adjust the antenna-- but i can make it all out." Such a great description of dreams.
You must have Native American heritage - you have an Indian's sensibility (or gift?). You understand that all things are connected.
I have always dreamed in color, but during the time I was suffering depression, dreams were absent. My therapist told me that wasn't so: "Oh, you have dreams," she said, "You just aren't being mindful of them." I began keeping a notepad by my bed, my assignment was to try to remember my dreams upon awakening. She was right. They were hard to flesh out in my just-awake mind, but they were there, dim and dull (like everything else in depression). Here is a poem I wrote at the time:
Under the Big-Top
(ALTERNATE TITLE: Lame Brain)
“Make note of your dreams,” she had said,
But nights passed and none came.
“A notepad and pen kept by the bed
Will spark your memory’s claim.
(Why were no dreams trundling through my nights?)
And then a dream of a circus train:
What message, what clue
Do animals in cages on wheels offer this anguished brain?
A single car veering left – and it was through.
(Is truth somehow revealed at night?)
One car of four… what could it mean?
A nano-second view and then gone from sight;
Lions and tigers and bears for an instant seen -
Do they suggest some deep psychiatric blight?
(Or was it the box of Animal Crackers I ate last night?)
Thank you, Mouse, for your post. I am so glad that my silly cartoon prompted it.
I dream in vivid technicolor. The colours are over-saturated, almost throbbing with yellow or red or blue.
I have always pictured dreams as the brain sweeping out the thoughts of the day and flushing them...they all swirl together and it makes a story, simply because no matter how random the events, we will find a way to string them together and find meaning.
And when you think about it, isn't that our purpose in the world? To look at the random events around us and put it together to make some kind of meaning? To draw story out of our existence as Moses drew water out of a stone?
I love thinking about my dreams.
I was just thinking about this color vs. black & white thing this a.m. because last night I had a dream, wherein my wardrobe was important to the action of the dream and I wore, variously, a pink tshirt and a blue plaid skirt (with a white shirt and stilettos...not sure what Jung would have to say about that).
Do look both ways.
Once I dreamt in color. There were cherubs appearing from behind a red velvet curtain, like a movie about to show the opening credits.
The cherubs then asked me if I want to know when I'm going to die. I said yes and I was given a specific number. Then I asked about my wife, and like the first question, they gave me another set of numbers that I 'm supposed to add to our age then.
I have been trying to bet on the numbers on the lottery ever since. If the dream is correct, I still have 28 years anyway.
You have a nice blog. Keep it up!
i understand and kinda beleive that dreams have some meaning to them... whether the dreamer understands them or not. but dreams fortelling what is to come... thats a bit far-fetched for me.
Great post Mouse! I love dreams, but like you, mine are always in black and white and fuzzy (though I understand that the ingestion of some certain chemicals before sleep makes them clearer).
Jung did lots of work on dreams and felt it was our shadow's way of telling us things about ourselves that we weren't in touch with.
Cool stuff. (Now what the heck is "Shhhh" ;))
Post a Comment