
On Saturday Nov 11, the weather in downtown Chicago was cool and crisp. The river walk was open allowing the average Joe to look in on the rich and famous at the riverfront hot spot restaurants. The tables were lined with linen and each table had a waiter and and a wine boy. I do enjoy dining like that -- but not with my husband-- so not tonight! Tonight we briskly walked past the windows and headed to the House of Blues.
We walked around the back where, surprisingly there was not line. Tonight, Cowboy Mouth. There way already a crowd of about 35 people in front of the stage. We checked our coats-- OK it was as much a two drinks to do so but who cares, it's only money.
We take 3 step down to the wood floor, towards the sate. At about 4 rows of bodies back, center stage, is where we make our stand.
Me-Level on the rocks. I'd have 3 that night.
Him 1 Heineken. He was driving.
I looked around the club. If you haven't ever been to the HOB you are really missing out. The sound is great. The decor spectacular. Out of the corner of my eye I spot two young men with interesting jackets. They are black and embroidered on the back in white is the outline of a jet plane within a circles. Interesting, I thought. It didn't look like the normal Jam Production Security or HOB Security or Chicago Police. Hmm must be something new. As I went to the restroom one of the young men caught my eye. He smiled, I smiled back. It's always wonderful to have some hottie smile at you.
I returned to my husband and my spot on the floor. The opening band takes the stage.
catchpenny. The really rocked. Very good band kind of Goo Goo Dollsish. If you look closely, you can find me in the pictures at their site. My husband said I was flirting with the band. Ya, he was right-- but they started it! These were the guys in the black jackets!
After a good set and a brief intermission-- Cowboy Mouth took the stage. Kids, cover your ears...
OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!
I have heard their songs before and to be honest, they were okay. When we went to the Jazz and Heritage festival in New Orleans two years ago, there was a couple on the train with us who mentioned the band. When we were in New Orleans we heard them play one song in the distance. I got a picture with their tour bus, but we didn't see them.
So the drummer is also the lead singer. He has his set right up at the edge of the stage. I've got to tell you it was quite a show. He took every opportunity to pump up the crowd. He wanted as much energy from us as we expected from him.
As the songs went on, and the audience jumped, you could feel the floor shake under your feet. I LOVE THE HOUSE OF BLUES!!
I cant remember the set, so please don't ask me. I more remember the cute couple to my right. Although the taller of the two boys looked very young, they were still very cute.
Ok I said I remembered the couple but my memory was short term. On the L (short for elevated train) ride back to our car this young guy smiles at me. I smile back and then he lifts up his shirt... to expose his Cowboy Mouth T-shirt... the younger of the two men! I moved my seat closer to my husband and this couple. He mentioned he had seen Cowboy Mouth over 30 times and that tonight's show was one of the best. They usually don't do encores, but they did, and they usually don't have the opening band join them... so we were privileged.
Hubby was able to get us home safely by 3 AM. Kids all asleep and the house wasn't burned down-- big plus. I was wondering why there wasn't a pizza box... I told my babysitter to order pizza. Cheese sticks, but no pizza.. hmmm... odd....
I hope the kids ate!!
Well kids, if you have a change to see Cowboy Mouth GO!! But only if you want to scream and jump up and down and have a good time with people over the age of 25!
10 comments:
Very nice review!
Perhaps the sitter's boyfriend took the leftover pizza and the box with him when he left?
I love the avatar! How very cool! Did you do it yourself?
Sounds like fun!
Dirk-- Thanks for stopping by. I love your pic on your blog! Umm do I know you? Party back in the '80s?The avatar on yahoo?... wow you took a long and winding road! Avatar created with the help of yahoo, picture on my blog-- if you look closly is a true self portrat.. just need to read it!
SO you claim to love music...then mention that you liked a band that sounded like the Goo Goo Dolls?
Sigh.... ;)
Steve~
Sweet! This sounds like big fun!
Good beat...Easy to dance to...I give it a 98!..Great review CM. :)
Sigh...I used to play guitar in Cowboy Mouth...a different CM...at one point (1986?) there were about 10 U.S. bands named Cowboy Mouth - we were the one that sucked the most and played the least.
It is nice seeing young people having fun.By 'young people'I mean you!
Wow, that sounds like a fun evening! Hope u njoyed it!
Im so happy to see u guys 2morrow,
cya soon
Jannis
Steve-- okay, so we dont agree on everything...
Filly-- I went to the dark side with beta, It's been busy but more to come.
Lucia-- a day in the life I guess.
Sling-- LOL
Allan-- with me, youth isnt wasted on the young
Jannis-- I cant wait!!! See you soon.
We go to live shows too, not as many now that we live amongst people that think dancing will get you a first class ticket to hell. Not too many gigs here. The city is an hour and a half away! We went and saw the Del Mccoury band the other night. Brilliant bluegrass! Any music 'cept country. We had people buying us drinks one night because "you two look so happy dancing all night..." at a Los Lobos gig. How does that get better? Free beer, great live tunes and my love at my side...
Yup, David danced, and so do we.
Post a Comment