Thursday, November 16, 2006

IN TO THE WOODS



After weeks of practice it is finally here. Tonight was the final dress rehearsal for into the woods. There will be three shows Thursday Friday and Saturday. We will all be dead by church on Sunday. I think it will be worth it. The kids are kicking ass.

The students have worked diligently on their lines. The costumes were perfect thanks to a mom or two. The sets were wonderful. They finally worked out the issues with the sound and the lights. Woooo hoooo!




Family was allowed to come to the dress rehearsal. My dad came out from Chicago. There was also a large group of my son’s friends. They all came to see how Zach would do.

Into the Woods is an interesting play. If you haven’t seen it, you should rent it. It is long, but the story line is wonderful. On the surface it starts with several fairy tails that all meet in the woods—and how the stories go wrong and don’t turn out the way you expect them too.

But if you really look and listen, you’ll find there is more.

Careful the wish you make
Wishes are children
Careful the path they take
Wishes come true, not free
Careful the spell you cast
Not just on children
Sometimes the spell may last
Past what you can see
And turn against you
Careful the tale you tell
That is the spell
Children will listen

--- from Into the Woods


Some of you may remember a post I did a while back. When I called my grandma in heaven. I really wanted my dad to be around me. I was feeling sorry for myself.

Well tonight my wish came true. My dad came out to see his grandson.

It wasn’t what I expected.

It wasn’t what I wanted.

He could barely sit still. He didn’t seem to enjoy it. He talked about my sister the whole time. He couldn’t live in the moment in the woods (pun … line from the play)

He wants to take the train home at 7 AM and that is fine. So form now I am just going to be happy with the way things are with me and my dad. I’m not work so hard anymore. It's not worth it.

What is worth it, worth everything, more than life, is my wonderful family and my wonderful freinds. My exchange student, my kids, my hubby and all those who came last night to see my kids.

And the children, not so young, in the playy. They did such a wonderful job. Even though the next few days will be grouling, I cant wait!


















I wish, more than anything ...

9 comments:

Allan said...

The play sounds great!
I know exactly how you feel about the dad thing. It's a shame that he can't catch a groove from the wonderful family he has, but that is his fault , not yours.

Citymouse said...

Ya... I'm in a good place about now.

Lorraine said...

Good on those kids, and all the hard work of the parents!

And good on you for finding your "good place" with your dad. His loss.

Lucia said...

Glad you're in a good place. Yeah for the kids!

Fuff said...

Glad you can put it to bed and enjoyed the play. People rarely change, no matter what others do..

Grish said...

Glad to hear the play worked out well. I am also sorry tohear about your father. I think if you can stay in you good place you`ll be just fine...:)

Steven said...

Good place.

Happy kids.

Into the woods.

Can't get much better than this?

Congrats. :)

Steve~

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, i saw it yesterday and it was wonderful =)

*into the woooooooods.. lalala*

Sling said...

We can either let the past rule our present,or we can take whatever good we can from it and move on.
Happy to see you've come to terms with your dad.
Great pix CM,I'll bet it was fun!