Once again, the high school musical stories will have to wait.
Do you remember what your relationship was like with your parents when you were 17. I have an audio tape of our Christmas when I was 17. I sounded soooo dramatic! It was embarrassing. But I think I just -- all teens-- just feel so much deeper.
They don't have a perspective yet. Many of things going on in their lives are going on for the first time. Ya, they've heard about life, love and death in their songs. They have seen drugs and peer pressure on TV. The have seen cleavage on a video and on the internet. But to have it in front of you, first hand, well of course it's a big deal. (ya the cleavage! see... I can be funny!)
As adults, we know some of this stuff isn't a big deal. But as it's happening? Wow! It's big!
Sometimes though, I think as a parent, I need to pause and remember how much these things effected me at the time. It was all a big deal when I was 17. And if I really force myself to remember, I blush. I can still feel the emotions, even if the details aren't there anymore. Go ahead and try it. It won't hurt too bad to feel as awful as you did when you tripped up (not down) the stairs in the hall in front of you-know-who. Is your face red? Do you feel warm in side? How about when that cute stranger asked you for your number on the bus on the way home from school? Just for a fleeting minute, don't you feel like the most beautiful person in the world all over again?
My exchange student is having some issues with his family back home. They found his blog, saw a picture of him with a friend and now assume he has a boyfriend here in the states. They are worried about what we will think, what the neighbors will say. I think they thought this trip to America was going to cure him.
I am doing my best not to say anything disparaging about his mom. I am trying to see her side but I feel my priority is making sure her son is okay-- even if it means I need to suggest to him he limits the communications with her. Yah, he may have a crush on this boy, but they are just friends. They are close and personally, I think it's great. It's wonderful to have a best friend. His friend at this point has never had a relationship with other boys, and has a girlfriend
My student has tried to explain this to his mom. She just won't believe him. This is another one of those times, I hope I can learn by watching others. I don't want my kids to feel like this about me ever. I don't want to feel that they have poured their heart out to me and that I just refuse to listen.
My son is 12. My Daughter is 10.
I hope that as they grow I remember to talk with concern, and not accuse them of things.
I hope I can remember to believe each of them when they tell me something.
I hope I can remember to let things go in exchange for a long lasting relationship.
I hope I can be there for them instead of trying to micro manage their lives
I hope I can remember to bite my tongue when he tells me something I don't want to hear-- and just be thankful he is telling me.
I hope I can just be thankful that she can be honest with me, when so many kids aren't
I hope when I am disappointed in one aspect of his life, I can look at the others that please me.
I hope I build bridges with my children not burn them between us.
He wrote to his mother again, in hopes to smooth things over. He was late because of it and got a detention. Yahh that will help!
He will have to call on Saturday for his Dad's birthday. I told him it may be best to talk thing through then. Try not to get angry, show her how you want her in your life and that you love her. The rest is up to her. I hope I can remember all this in 4 years.

5 comments:
Hell. I'm going to have this tattooed on my brain.
I've been thinking along the same lines lately. The other night The Child went all Drama Queen on me over the dumbest damn thing but then I remembered what it was like to be 12.
Need to remember that more often.
What a great creed for parents to post on their walls.
And tell Julien it will get better, which doesn't sound like much right now but it's something.
I was awful when I was 17 and wish my mum had been a lot more like you.
hey anna,
well.. Julien told me about the story with his mom, that she thinks that me and julien have a relationship etc.. and i think its just stupid.. A mom should belief her own son.. and i cant understand what her problem is. She should be happy, if her son is..
If I ever have kids I am going to use your blog for my guidebook.
Can you keep Julien? It's horrible that his parents think he needs to be 'cured'.
Post a Comment