Monday, January 28, 2008

Just when you thought it was going to be okay

My dad is out of the hospital.

He was in for a week.

They still don't know what's wrong with him.

There doesn't seem to be much wrong with him ---


Wait let me clarify that. My father is a recovering drug addict alcoholic who has been clean and sober for over 25 years. So actually there is plenty wrong with him on sooo many levels!

My father isn't very well educated other than the education a life of drugs and crime can get you.

He has mellowed in some ways.

He is still opinionated and boisterous in others.


So when I say there is nothing wrong with him, well there is nothing wrong with him if you can live with Archie Bunker mixed with The Godfather.


It looks like he will no longer be able to work.

He needs a place to live.

My sister's husband pulled a Winehouse and said no no no --not here-- so I guess it is on us.


Now... I don't mind having some one live with us, but my dad lives his life a bit differently then we do. The life I have made for myself is pretty normal. My dad is not.


I have really tried not to be like my parents. That may sound harsh... but I have looked at what they did, decide whether or not it worked and then made a decision from there.

So what is wrong with my dad.... hmmm


1. Temperature -- dad likes it hot (84F) we like it cool (68F). So he sits here with a heater on him. He doesn't ever turn the heater off, even if he leaves the room.


2. Time -- he eats all the time. Around the clock. He wakes up at two in the morning, grunting, groaning and eating.


3. Television-- he need the noise of the television on all the time 24 / 7.


4. Tongue -- my father uses the F word in between every second or third word. no matter if it is a positive or negative statement. "What the fuck is with this fucking television?" "No fucking way, you got a fucking part in the fucking high school play. That is fucking wonderful"


5. Treasury -- My dad has to find a way to live on $600 a month if he is not working. I have called housing, and they will meet with us this week, maybe they can find him something.


I knew this day would come.

I just didn't think it would be this soon.


Today my dad told me about his day.


"I told all my fucking Friends at (insert AA club location) 'bout you and your family and it is just too fucking normal for me! How the fuck did you turn out so normal?" He said this with tears in his voice. He is very proud of me. For this I am greatful.


Stick around. This story is just staring

9 comments:

Allan said...

Our fathers could be roommates. Scary .

DirkStar said...

You're gonna be sorry...

Citymouse said...

Lorraine--- um, yea.
Allan-- well, he is sober, so I guess that is a plus.
That is why i called Senior Services!!!!

Sling said...

How old is Pops?..He reminds me of my dad.

TK Kerouac said...

My father was an alcholic too Citymouse,
a very dysfunctional life to be brought up in
We have something in common
Had to take my dad to the hospital yesterday too
and most responsibility falls on me also

Sounds like you might be more accepting, easier going perhaps?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on your father,its good to know he's being taken care of. You'll have to call me soon to talk.
MOm

more cowbell said...

wow, that is a very tough situation. It is nice to hear first hand that your dad is proud of you. I'd imagine he has a lot of guilt, from what you've said, and the fact that you've "turned out normal" has got to be a huge and wonderful thing for him. Good luck.

Middle Child said...

Boy...this is a situation...any chance he'll mellow???

Anonymous said...

GULP!