Arrg
What a week
I almost didn’t blog about this
I almost broke my own rule
About being honest
About not caring about being judged
I almost didn’t write this
But the whole thing is over, so I can look at it from a different prospective.
So what happened?
I am an honest person. When someone asks me a question—especially a teenager- I answer honestly. I did that in Sunday school. I talked about sexuality and I talked about my piercing (well our pastor talked about that two years ago, but I confirmed it) and I did it a loving and Christian way
So here’s the thing (sorry Lorraine)
If you are an instructor in a high school class and kids ask questions, you do your best to answer—even if they are sensitive questions.
So what’s the problem--- well a parent complained about what we talked about. The interesting thing is that I never had a parent ask me anything about what we talked about—ever. I’m guessing the kid or the parent or both took things out of contexts. I am guessing it is a parent who doesn’t like me / my hubbie (we teach together) a lot.
So what happened? We got to meet with the pastor and a couple of them woman for the education team at our home--- talk about stress--- I don’t like having “professional” visits at my home. My home is the place I lay my stuff while I am busy living life--- and I like it that way!
Anyway, we cleaned up and they came over and they told us we were doing a good (meaning they coundnt find anyone else to teach?) but we just need to let the parents know what going on cause these are sensitive issues—and I think to myself do they have any idea what goes on in the halls at the high school? Do they have any idea what these kids put on the internet, or what they talk about with their friends, cause I do and let me tell you I don’t think when we talk about love and acceptance not matter who the person is or what they look like we are not going to ruin any lives.
So anyway, now we are sending a letter to all the parents so they know what we are teaching – and yes we are showing movies and yes we are talking about pop culture and yes it might get ugly--- oh well, too bad so sad. You think what we talked about in a class or two was interesting, we will be watching a few PBS movies--- HA! SO THERE!
Then of course there was my interview. I did not get the leader position. The person who got it is older than me, and knows the interviewers a whole lot better. I must admit, I am very disappointed. Yet I know everything happens for a reason.
The interview it self seemed to go over well. But being that the leaders are all from the other side of our area, I know they didn’t have a clue about the courses I have recently taken, or about my local involvement. I really think if they did, I would have gotten the position. Well—except for maybe the way I answered two question.
1. What do you think is the biggest problem facing our nation --- at home and on an international scale.
Wow! What a tough question. There is so much that is right with our country but so much that can use improvement. I think of things like education, healthcare, homelessness, and it all come down to one thing the discrepancies between the very rich and the very poor. It really is all about money. If the money was there, there would be no problems when a sr. citizen wanted to buy medication. There would be no issues about vaccinating our children or providing them a decent meal. Or sending kids to college so they can learn and get a good job and provide for their families and those around them. I don’t know how to solve this problem, but the biggest problem we really face is the discrepancy between the haves and the have nots.
2. What will you do when people criticizes the American way or bring up sensitive issues?
I was just discussing this with a gentleman who returned from a trip to China, sponsored by their government. When the group of Americans asked sensitive questions, the conversation was steered back to what ever subject they were on. I think that is one easy way to handel the those issues. It can be the most dipomatic if it works. But I also think we need to take the approach that not everyone agrees with all of American’s policies—not even Americans, and some times we need to say it’s not good, it’s not bad, it’s just different.
Again, I think my honesty is my downfall.
Oh well. I can now concentrate on getting a job to supplement our income while real estate is slow.
My camera still isn’t working well. But my friend did come over and take some pictures of the kids. Here are a few black and whites. I always need to remember what is important.
School starts on Thursday….
Argggg
What a week.
15 comments:
Oh I'm sorry about the interview, someone older - can't believe it. Yeah I guess it happens for a reason I wonder what that is? It may become apparent.
Good on you - be honest tell it how it is, it'll pay off in the end, jeez just how narrow minded can people be?
Letter to all the parents - yippee!!
Hi Citymouse!
Really, really sorry about the week you've had, and about the interview. Some things just aren't fair at all, but as you say things always happen for a reason. Cyberhugs to you in the meantime!
I saw your interview with Bugwith earlier, and thought I'd offer myself up for an interview if you're interested (btw - tried to send this via email to you, but I'm not smart enough to figure out where to find it!) Anyway. Why do I offer? Well I grew up in the Chicago-land area (didn't start out there tho), so I feel we have that in common. We seem to have a number of readers in common, and we seem to read a number of the same blogs too! Yet you and I are just beginning to know each other really, so I thought it'd be interesting and fun for both of us!
If you want a reference or starting point, Jin at http://www.jintrinsique.blogspot.com interviewed me back in May at:
http://sotheotherdayiwas.blogspot.com/2007/05/yay-my-interview-with-jin.html
It's totally cool if you don't feel like interviewing a stranger - just thought I'd offer and say "Hello and thanks for visiting my blog" at the same time!
Sorry you didn't get the leader psition Mouse.On the bright side,they could have wanted someone younger.
Tough week kid.
Better luck next time CM :) Hope things work out.
Sorry about the interview, but now you can deal better at home cuz you don't have to worry about that "pressure"and can deal with the other "pressures" you have.
I'm sorry you didn't get it, but your description of the questions and your responses reminds me of one of Woody Allen's lines (except in reverse): "Would I want to be a member of a club that would have me for a member?" (Assuming that the "me" was saying what they wanted to hear...)
OMG, sounds like an absolute bitch of a week.
For my part, I just want to say thank god there are still people as honest and true to themselves as you in the world!
I'm glad you're staying positive. That's the best we can do sometimes.
I admire your honesty and wouldn't want it any other way.
You are a very positive person.
I'm sorry you didn't get the position, too. (((hugs)))
As for the being honest and getting people's knickers in a knot, exactly the same thing happened to Lorelie Gilmore once. So you're in good company.
Hang in there, babe. It's almost the weekend!
You would be our first choice.
Gosh, I am so sorry about the interview. But don't ever stop being honest. Everything happens for a reason.... I'm just sure something even better is coming down the pipe for you!
How's Julien?
Sorry about the job...how do you feel that your answers cost you the position?
1) Is actually TWO questions but you nailed it with one answer- at the core of our problems is the obviously uneven distribution of wealth and resources. Of course, giving that answer will get you labeled as a Marxist...
2)Why do people assume that criticizing a nation's government is equated with disparaging that nation or it's citizens? e.g., I have serious questions about the actions of our current regime but I still love my country. The First Amendment gives us the right to criticize or praise our leaders as we see fit. I'm proud of that right and I hope we get to keep it.
Wow, I don;t like those questions very much. It sounds like you are expected to be a cheerleader for America instead of a leader and good guardian for kids.
Hmmm..,
All the same, I wish you had gotten it.
I thought I had commented on this already-- poo! Well, the thing with the parents and all ... it makes me sad that some kids aren't getting realistic healthy information. On the interview, so sorry for you, but I'm thinking on the same lines of Bugwit in that it seems they want you to be all Rah-Rah-Rah for America -- does that affect what a good leader you'd be, if you don't buy in to the whole America Can Do No Wrong thing? I'd want my kids to have a mentor who was capable of independent thought, and knew how to question ...
Post a Comment