Saturday, June 09, 2007

Immigration in these United States




PHOTO BY JULIEN JORDAN
SEE MORE OF HIS ART AT
http://julien1989.deviantart.com/







Ya, I'm going to get political for a second or two here. And I'm going to get personal too.

Immigration reform did not pass
Surprise surprise

This is one of those topics that really burn me. We are a nation of immigrants, and yet we Americans can be some of the must prejudice people in the world. So lets talk about the issues as I see them.

1. The immigration debate has really only to to with Mexico. Go ahead... when they talk about immigrants they don't talk about the guy from the UK-- they talk about people from Mexico.

2. We don't see the big picture-- how immigrants still buy things, therefor DO pay taxes. How they do the jobs no one else wants to, how they live in places no one should-- all for a better life.

3. Who is employing them?? Who rents to them? HMmmmmm rich white farmers and business people??? Maybe!

4. Dual citizenship is not something the US wants, but denouncing ones heritage, root and family is a hard and painful thing to do-- especially if someone has family back home.

I grew up in a Latino neighborhood. I was the minority. I couldn't speak the language. I had a hard time getting a job, or a boy friend, or any respect. It sucked. I will never forget how I felt growing up-- always apologizing for being different.

I know many Latinos-- both here legally and those who have status issues. They are people. Our elected officials seem to be forgetting that.

2 comments:

SIMON said...

I do not know that much about the individual immigration laws but I have to say that your opening statement about the prejudices of the American nation is ever so true. I'm not saying that from a 'hate yanks' viewpoint which is highly fashionable over here at the moment. But from the viewpoint of a self confessed americophile!
Hell 45% of the traffic on my blog sites are American.
Good post it needs to be addressed properly before you all become the laughing stock of the world!

Lorraine said...

I'm just dying to know how many of the senators who defeated the immigration bill have undocumented workers mowing their lawn, washing their clothes and raising their kids. No one can tell me the number is 0.