Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happy Holidays Everyone

My Sr. High Students had their Christmas program this past Sunday. Since my husband and I have been teaching these students we have allowed them to write their own worship service. Well, we do help. Jim and I take in their ideas and one liners and combine them into something we can share with the Church on a Sunday morning.

These kids are amazing. Most don't have parents who come to Church at all--- they find a way to get to Sunday school at 9 am on a Sunday. Why are they there? I like to think it is to find out how do deal with the world in a way that is a bit better than what they see.

My Church can really piss me off some times. Well, not the Church-- the people.

For example the international church is working hard to help advance the rights and equalities of our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters --- that doesn't sit well with some of the people in our church. How do I handle it as a Sunday School teacher? Simple--- when I teach teenagers about sex I teach that the bible says any sex outside of marriage is a sin. And what is sin? Sin is truing toward self and away from the greater good (in our faith, God) . Done. Gender or sexual orientation isn't really a part of that---- except that we not only should "allow" but fight for same sex marriage. Of couse one day I may kicked out for this, but I guess if it happens it happens.

Oh, one other thing I also teach --- that protecting yourself and using birth controll does not make it a bigger sin!!!! Gees!!!!! Don't be sinful AND stupid!

Myself? Well I'm a bit sinful and needy and self centered, but God seems to love me anyway so if the church does kick me out I think God will still love me. I just belive we need to be more inclusive, Jesus was inclusive-- why cant we be that way today?

Anyway back to my story,
The kids did this play. It was done as a news cast. Top story, someone stole the Baby Jesus from the manger. We taped some of the scenes and put them up on the big screen at our church. ( I am hoping one of the kids will put it on YouTube and then you guys can see it--- of course, I couldn't do it, but they could!)

We played Led Zeppelin Stairway to Heaven on the way in, and Money by Pink Floyd as we collected the offering. That is what the kids wanted. The play was about the greed and all the bad news in the world. And how Christmas isn't about money. The Pastor told my husband it was one of the best things he had seen in 18 years. So here is one scene we wrote.
-----------------------------------------
REPORTER Hi I’m Rob Reporter and I’m here with Joe Consumer and he has a complaint. Joe,what’s up?


CONSUMER Well my Jesus is broken, but when I took it to the store to be repaired they said there was nothing wrong with it.


REPORTER Well what IS wrong with it? It seems intact. All the shells are there. (it was on of those Jesus statues with the shells---)


CONSUMER Well it just doesn’t work.


REPORTER What do you mean work?


CONSUMER Well you know, I bought this Jesus but nothing has changed.


REPORTER Changed? Buying a Jesus figurine doesn’t change things. The birth of a king in a manger – now that changes things. It brings hope and light to a hopeless world. We will be saved by HIS grace—not by putting our trust into some plastic figurine. Things change with love and believing and praying. Following a star and then following Jesus, now that changes things.


CONSUMER Well in that case can I get my money back?


REPORTER (turn toward the audience) we contacted the local store where Joe Consumer bought the plastic Jesus. Most stores, due to the tough economy, are changing their return and exchange policies. Our recommendation is to always save your receipt. I’m Rob Reporter with your consumer reports. Back to the local news.


-------------------------------------------


And here is the final commentary


Tonight’s news all started really bad. Bad news in the world, bad news in the nation, bad news right here at home. There didn’t seem to be much good news on your Good News Network. But we need to remember that the birth of Jesus isn’t just about the wise men and kings who came to see him, it is about the shepherds and the Joe Grinches of the world who would be called to follow him. Tonight Joe Grinch learned that wealth isn’t about money, or positions or the fame that comes with committing a crime. True wealth lies not in what we have, but in what we can give. So this Christmas, let’s make sure to keep baby Jesus where he belongs. There is Good News folks. To spite what you may hear on the daily news, it really is a wonderful life.


Then the boys rapped to the last 4 pages of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

And here is my story...
This year has sucked for me. I lost my best friend, my dad is in a nursing home, my son suffered a traumatic brain injury and is now permanently deaf in his right ear. Money is tight and I work I job I hate because the job I love wont put food on the table or keep the lights on. My husband and I -- who always grew closer during difficult times --seem to be further apart then we have ever been and we cant get on the same page. Yet to spite all of this, I know the love of the universe-- the good that is out there-- isn't as far as it seems.. There is a light, a warmth, an everloving God who will somehow get me through this. There are so many who have it much worse than I do. I can allow myself to be heavy hearted, but the truth is I am not defeated.

Today, the light shines, even if I can not see it. Today, as it was 2000 years ago, there is hope and there is love.

May you and your family have the transcending peace this Christmas and throughout the coming year.



With love from Citymouse and family.

7 comments:

Miss Healthypants said...

Iwanski and I had a challenging year, too (I had a miscarriage earlier in the year and then (thankfully unfounded) fears of cancer later...)...but I, too, know that God's love is shining bright for us, and all is well, and the new year will bring much peace and happiness.

Merry Christmas, Mouse! :)

Pat said...

Yay - you sound better (**EC says with much hope in her voice**). I'm relieved ... I've left a letter for you over at my post, if'n you're interested in being distracted for a bit.

Fuff said...

Hope you have a super New Year, Mouse x

Middle Child said...

The light is always there whether we can see it or not...but nothing wrong with a good serving of grief, tears, reflection all of that...

I hope for you and yours that the new year brings some happiness and I hope you and your husband can begin to draw together...its so important.

Allan said...

Happy Years, Mouse! They really played those two songs? That's absolutely brilliant.

Here's to hope!

Anonymous said...

Here are many good wishes from Germany to you and your family - may the new year be a better time, a time worth living for all of you! With metta (buddhist love)
nattix

Ben Heine said...

All the best for you in 2009 !