Thursday, March 13, 2008

Spongybone, Grandma, Indiana Ave and Friday Juke Box at the end

This story is one I have been wanting to tell, and thanks to Spongy Bone I am! You can read his personal version if you follow the link and (read the whole post) This one comes from my grandmother. I remember her telling me this story as we slept three in the bed. (See post from Jan 3 2008)

When Grandma & Grandpa got married they were better off than most of their peirs. Their parents let them take the PWA checks and get married. They had enough for the judge at city hall, a half barrel of beer and a cake. They way grandma told it, everyone brought something.

The money that was left was used to rent a room on Indiana Ave.

Indiana Ave was the immigrant comminity. Their building was primarly Polish Jews. My grandparents stuck out like a sore thum, being Itilain and actually born in the state. Nontheless, everyone got along well. People scoilized on the streets and that the commerical establishements, mostly because the living quarters were so small.

The apartment was one room. there was a small stove and hole in the side of the kitchen--- this is where the ice man would place the block of ice to keep the food cold. The only bathroom on that floor was down the hall and shared by six rooms.

I couldnt even imagin a young couple living that way today. We are all too privliged.

One of the first nights there together, natured called my grandmother. she got out of her warm bed and steppted out into the cold hall, leaving the aprtment door open.

It only took a few minuts for her to coming running back into the room.

"Frank! FRANK!!! Wake up! I think there is a rat in the toilet"
"Oh Ann" sighed my grandfather Frank.
"Go look Frank, please go look" pleaded his young bride.

Frank journyed down the all. There was a flush, and then he returned.

"You were right, it was a rat, but I fushed and got rid of him"

"I just dont get it Frank"

"Get what"

"Well why didn't the pussy scare it way"


---- another reason I love and respected my grandma--- she could say it like it is!

So... would you think i would play anything other than this ?????

7 comments:

Sling said...

Your Grandma and Grandpa were sensible,and down to earth examples of
the best that lies within us all!..
I love those qualities. :)

Grish said...

Lmao. I love it:)

le p'tit chef said...

i remember you telling me this story.. ;) still makes me laugh. you grandma must have been one amazing woman! like you are!
by the way, we were at the alicia keys concert... we got 4th row!!!!! it was like .. whoooaa! and the concert was amazing, she's great live nad i got amazing pictures..

Lorraine said...

Oh man! A great story AND Bob Geldoff? My lucky day.

Anonymous said...

Grandma was talking about a cat, right?

Love me some Rats, and hadn't seen that one before...

Pat said...

LOL! I bet when you tell this story in person you can't keep a straight face!! Great story - thank you for sharing!

And to your urging - I think I'll soon do a post on raw ginger and other food atrocities...

Middle Child said...

Don and I did that... lived in a one room place with the bathroom downstairs and with a 2yr old but only for three months... it was above a hamburger store which was open til 3am...
I had morning sickness and the smell of that shop is with me still...

we were luckily awaiting a house which we rented for the orincely sum of $12 pw when our friends were copping $75pw so it as worth the wait and we loved it when we finally moved into it with out 9inch black and white TV, a mattress and an esky...it was 1977... good memories...you can do anything when you are young I reckon as long as you have someone to be with who loves you and who you love