Wednesday, March 05, 2008

I dont like fried shrimp anymore


"Hey mom, want one of my shrimp?"

"No thanks."

"I thought you liked shrimp?"

"I do, just not fried."

"But you like cheese sticks and other fish fried."

"But not shrimp, not since I was like 13."

You see, your Nawna was married to Grandpa Frank. Grandpa frank was illiterate. He couldn't read and he couldn't write more that his name. But even though he couldn't read or write, he liked to think he was a math genius. He put that talent to work every Wednesday.

On Wednesdays, grandpa frank would pick up the Tribune, the Sun times, and the Daily news. He would open to sports section and use his keen reasoning to decipher the the horse race information.

It was all so scientific. the papers lined up next to each other on the silver Formica table. numbers jotted down in the margins. Adding subtracting dividing. and then he would yell out to Nawna --- Hey Ann--- Kingfish is running in the ninth. If the name has royalty like names they are sure to win. You know king queen, jack.

Grandpa would meet grandma at the bus stop, take all of her earning (all except the 30 per week she put away with out telling him) and go off to the races.

There were months we ate nothing but potatoes and eggs and toast-- cause that lousy son of a bitch jockey didn't have his head screwed on right. Or because it rained and that horse ain't no mudder. He would be drunk and swearer and we would stay out of his way the whole weekend. He would then call every person he knew to get a few bucks to go back to the track again-- to see if he could win it back.

Every so often, he did win

He would get home in what seemed like the middle of the night and turn every light in the house on. He brought home several pizzas form Father and Son and baskets and baskets of fried shrimp.

Grandma would then ask him for some money, to buy us a few things that we needed.

We would then spend Saturday shopping on Milwaukee ave. Goldbaltz and Woolworth's and the little dress store and the shoe store. And grandma would treat us to McDonald's. She always had a hamburger fries and a cup of coffee. Grandma loved their coffee.

While we sat at McDonald's grandma would have us go through the bags and tear all the tags off the cloths and through them away in the trash at McDonald's.

Then, as we walked out, she take out the receipts and tear them up too.

"Just in case that crape hanger gets a bug up his ass and wants to return this shit. This way he can't" She would say. Ahhhh Crape Hanger.... I Love That Term!!!!!

It was like that for most of my growing up. When I was 13 I spent more weekends with friends that I had met in high school. It got me out of the house. I didn't have to deal with it. I didn't have to watch the rituals that these people were so comfortable with. It didn't have to be my existence.

But anyway son, fried shrimp just doesn't sit well with me any more.

But I love it sauteed with garlic.

15 comments:

robkroese said...

Geez, I can see why that would leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Sling said...

I.Love.The.Track!
Of course,the trick is,to not wager any more than you are willing to lose. (same with poker).
I don't care which horse he's on,Eddie DelLahousie on the turf is worth a few sheckles any day!
Where was I?
Oh yeah,..I like fried shrimp a lot.

Pat said...

Wow! The realy tragedy is that there are so many like your Grandpa and Grandma. I'm so glad you worked out a way to get away from that environment as often as you could.

I happen to love fried shrimp - but then again, I didn't have a "math wizard" in my youth!

Now then - being forced to eat raw ginger, that's a whole 'nuther thing!

TK Kerouac said...

Love your childhood stories!

le p'tit chef said...

i love those stoires of your childhood.. doesn't matter what about it is, i just read it from the first line to the last and think of you telling me that kinda stuff at the yellow table. =)
hope you all are well.
miss you!

Anonymous said...

Love shrimp, but not fried. For less profound reasons.

This ranks up there with your best stories.

Citymouse said...

Sling.... you and grandpa would have gotten along just fine! He wasnt a bad guy... just a differnt time.

Curious... im waiting for the ginger story!

tk --- thank you

Julien ;) ahhh the yellow table!

JP again... that doesnt sound a bit bitter !

SpongyBones said...

Life events can always be tied to food or music huh!

Grish said...

Fantastic story:)

Traveling Matt said...

i'm glad you got away from all that, A.

ps i ordered dinner from father & sons a ittle bit ago

Allan said...

There's a little Frank in every addict...I hope it didn't put you off pizza too!
(I am striking out on my song quest,still looking)

Middle Child said...

Oh CM... sorry. I had such a wonderful dad and grandfather....but Don's dad liked to gamble which caused problems but not to the degree you had.

Good memories from childhood, although there were tragedies...the adults were adults.

Are shrimp like or are they Prawns?

Br. Jonathan said...

See. This is why I appreciate your blog so much.

Citymouse said...

Spongy--- the next story is for you!

Grish!!!! your back!!!!! thank you!!!

Monica-- that is one thing i miss living out here.. PIZZA

Allen how about water into wine? spirt in the sky? I need love? (I came up with a couple i guess) And I still love good pizza

MC-- yes like prawns!

Buck, I love you, thank you!

Allan said...

I had to Google two of those songs...Do you mean by Cold Chisel, LL Cool J and Norman Greenbaum, respectively? One of those songs is for sure about Jesus (the Norman G. one)...uncertain about the others... ...LL Cool J writes about unfurling his girl or something. Not sure what that means.
Inna Gadda Da Vida, baby!