Thursday, December 20, 2007

My excuse and then my rant / post




There are reasons I don’t write about pop culture. The main reason is I don’t really know much about pop culture.

Now, granted, I have written about a lot of things that I don’t know much about—but with pop culture I can never seem to keep up with who is doing who when and why.

Another reason I don’t write about pop culture is because so many bloggers do it so much better than I do like JP and Lorraine.

I think that has to do with the fact that many bloggers have cable and I don’t.

I don’t get Disney, Nickelodeon, HGTV, any of that…. Nope, no Project Run Way, no What Not to Ware, no High School Musical – unless they are available on the internet or DVD, or a PBS network (because here with regular TV with get like 6 PBS stations FOX and ABC —that’s all – really) Anyway, I think because my blogger friends are exposed to these things, they can share it all with me and I can live vicariously through them!

Um.. the other reason I don’t write about pop culture will have a direct relationship to my post/ rant,

And I know I have no business writing this post / rant but I cant help it…

I don’t write about pop culture 'cause I keep trying to put it into real life context and that doesn’t work.

_______________________________

So, all over talk radio and the news and the internet was that talk of the 16 year old actress and star of some hip great teen TV show is pregnant. Now, I hear that she has some famous sister who is a really bad mom and kind of silly slut. I dont know for sure, but that is what what I have gathered from what I have read.

So here I go, trying to put it in the real world again. I guess the father of this child is 19. And the thing is – we have heard very little about him, or how he feels about this, or how bad he is for sleeping with some 16 year old. I did see some artical about the laws in California and Luisianna regarding age of consent and all that-- however-- we havnt heard anything from the dad, or the dad's family-- nothing!

Here we go again—
girl gets pregnant
not guy gets girl pregnant.
It kills me.
It is always on the girl.

Not to say she shouldn’t have been more careful, or just said no, or something—but I would like to some day see some male in the public eye take on some personal responsibility.

I had a talk with my kids last year about sexual responsibility; last year when Swiss Son was here. The ages in the home were as follows 13 yr old boy (straight) 11 year old girl (orientation not yet defined) 17 year old boy (bi) .

We talked about birth control and safe sex. And I said something that shocked my Swiss son and daughter. My son was just plain grossed out.


“Boys, if my daughter goes out and screws around with 10 guys, she will only get pregnant once. However, you guys go out and screw 10 girls, you can have 10 babies all of them your responsibility—just as much as the one child is the responsibility of my daughter. You can not take it any more lightly just because you don’t physically carry the child for the first 9 months. As the father, you are just as responsible”

I know many young parents don’t take responsibilities for their actions, but then again, I know many that do---

My mom had me when she was 16. She intrusted my care to my grandparents. That was responsible. I learned from her that I didn’t want to be a mom and a teenager at the same time. I had my son when I was 26. That worked for me and it seems to be working okay for him and his younger sister too.

So kids
They know what causes this stuff now!!!! Wrap it up, or keep it in your pants—and girls take some responsibility too would ya?????

See… I’m not good at pop culture.

I said responsibility like 9 times in this post and we know pop culture wouldn’t even exist if it had any thing to do with people being responsible.

20 comments:

ATLLG said...

I may have some teenagers Iknow read your post. Excellent.

I stalked over from TK Kerouac

Anonymous said...

clap clap clap clap!
(and other STD's as well - HAH!)

Seriously though -
"I don’t write about pop culture 'cause I keep trying to put it into real life context and that doesn’t work."

And that's it right there, is'nt it?

Citymouse said...

atllg-- nice shorts! i need a few good stakers, your welcome any time. And yes-- tell the teenagers of the world!

Hat--- :) you always know just the right thing to say! BTW you show me your erotic blog and I'll show you mine.

Anonymous said...

DAMN MY EYES!

Lorraine said...

I'll tell you one good thing about this whole stupid Spears situation, it's providing a lot of teachable moments for parents. The Child and I had a very long talk about it all. It wasn't the first and won't be the last but lord knows it can't be talked about enough.

TK Kerouac said...

So true, pregancy takes two
unfortunately though
its the girls body, and she choses wether to raise the baby or have it terminated
The cards are in her hands

Something that really pisses me off about the Spears family though...
Yes Brittany is making all kinds of mistakes right now
and her sister is following in her footsteps with getting pregnant

But the Mother of these girls is getting torn apart and blamed for the mistakes of her daughters
and they just postponed the release of her parenting book(which is probably a good idea for now)
These girls have been under the microscope since childhood because they are in the public eye

I just don't believe that mothers should be blamed for all of the mistakes thier children make while they are young and foolish

No matter how much parenting you can give your child
they also have their own strong will

Sling said...

I don't mean to be judgemental..or maybe I do.But these Spears girls just don't seem to be thinking these things through.
This does create a good opportunity for parents to bring up the subject with their sons and daughters though..Nice post mouse!

Red Seven said...

Sex education at my house consisted of "if you ever, and I mean ever, get a girl pregnant, you are quitting school and getting a job and supporting that child, do you hear me?" Know what? It worked! (Well, that plus that fact that I'm gay, but still.)

As for the pregnant teen PopTart, I think she's getting all the press because a) she's a big star and her boyfriend isn't, and b) she's talking to magazines about how "blown away" she was by the news but how excited she is at the same time, refusing to look at the impending arrival as anything sad or tragic -- which, to me, is simultaneously admirable and hopelessly naive.

And you're correct -- pop culture doesn't work in real life context. Jamie Lynn Spears can have a kid at sixteen and it won't ruin her life or her child's because she has more money than God, which is not the case for your typical American pregnant teen.

Psst. Take your kids to see Juno. You'll love it.

Happy holidays, Citymouse!!!

Judy said...

Rant on, girl!

Here's a seasonal card for you, and my best wishes for health and happiness in the new year.

Wiz

robkroese said...

I usually don't write about pop culture (which is to say, celebrity gossip) either, because it just irritates me. Life is too short.

Merry Christmas, Citymouse!

DirkStar said...

Merry Christmas groovy soul.

Pop culture...

Bah, bum hug.

TK Kerouac said...

Merry Christmas!

May peace and plenty be the first to lift the latch on your door, and happiness be guided to your home by the candle of Christmas. (A Celtic Blessing)

more cowbell said...

Amen and amen. I wondered the same thing, about the father. I just mentioned this to my son (just turned 15). I told him not long ago, that in some ways, he needs to be even more careful than I've admonished his sisters to be. If one of my daughters were to be pregnant, it would be our choice, as a family, as to how to deal with the situation. If my son ends up impregnating a young lady, on the other hand, we have no choice, no recourse, probably not even any input, as to how the situation is handled. The course of my son's life would be in the hands of the girl and her family. That's just the way it is, and he needs to always be aware of that, and take responsibility bearing that in mind. You're right on --- wrap it up, or keep it zipped up.

Pat said...

B-R-A-V-O!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself (drat - I HATE when that happens! Grin!)

Son and I have been having very similar talks since I don't know when. I've alwasy been very honest and open with him. But I also take great care to make sure he understands not only his responsibility in this whole thing, but I've also been determined that he will understand the whole emotional and mental dynamics of sex -- and how very DIFFERENT it is for men and for women - and that he must be responsible for THAT as well!!!!!

Doesn't matter what sexual orientation he is or ends up with -- bottom line is this: when it happens, he is messing with another's life and emotions. He is responsible for that. Even if the other person is not. Because, ultimately, he is messing with his own life and emotions. And he MUST be responsible about THAT!

Pat said...

All my very best to you and yours in 2008, CM!

Middle Child said...

What buggers me is that a man can have a child and not want to claim responsibility. I could no more know I had a child out there in the world and not be responsible than fly to the moon. That child carries my mother and father and all of us right back to the beginning and has a place in the family...how can a man turn away from his whole human history that way and not want to be responsible? Beats me. Good post

DirkStar said...

Bottom line...

Girl says no, party over.

Fuff said...

Hope you have a Happy New Year, CM!

Gilman Chatsworth said...

If it was the guy that was famous, it would have been

"Guy gets girl pregnant"

Though it appears that guys are just sperm donors anyway, so therefore they are just a tool in the process.

Gilman Chatsworth said...

Middle Child...

A guy has to disappear to reject the legal responsibility of a child (the moral responsibility is a different debate). A woman has a choice regarding whether to carry the child to term, and whether to keep the child. Further, in many states, such as Minnesota, if the woman doesn't want to share custody, the man has to accept it or be further punished by the courts for contesting the mother's decision.