
So we were watching American Idol last night and the questions was asked, "What song best describes you?"
It is a loaded question. It is a changing answer. But we had a go around at it in the living room.
My hubby couldn't think of one. I was kind of surprised because he has such a wide variety of music that he likes, I thought for sure he would come up with a song or two.
My Swiss son cam up with "Survivor" by Destiny's Child. But he said he may have to change it with all the great things he has seen and heard in the States
My daughter picked "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison. Actually have a different song for her. Buckwheat Zydeco does a song called "Hot Tamale Baby" --- I always changed the words to Hot Tamale Bethee.
My son was in the shower, but this morning I put on the song that most reminds me of him. Sonia Dada has a song called "Zachary".
The lyrics really describe him and how I feel about him.
When everyone asked about my song my daughter said "Short Skirt and a Long Jacket" by Cake. Well, that is when my husband said, "No, that should be my song". Some days I think it should be "Old Folks Boogie" by Little Feat. Shhh...don't tell him I said that!
I guess I have quite a few. My first response will always be "Brave and Crazy" by Melissa Etheridge. As of late, "Suddenly I See", by KT Tunstall has been a good me song, but it gets over played so that bugs me. Oh, and when I when out with my girlfriends I kept repeating this line from a Bright Eyes song, but I prefer not to put that in print he he he.
I also really like the song "Easy" by Cowboy Mouth. That expresses the attitude I try to have.
There are of course are other songs that always make me pause.
John Hiatt sings "Have a Little Faith in Me". That song belongs to my husband Jim and I as does "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails.
Then there are the songs that are modern and yet take me back. Better than Ezra sings "Life Time"... and sings about my graduation back in 1985.
Or an older tune like when I hear Bruce Springsteen sing "Thunder Road" and I am 16 again, in a fast car with a faster boy who I will send away as my best friend Jack waits for me to come home. Then there is U2--"Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", that describes my faith life most days. And then there is their song "Bad" wow... that one brings me back!
There is another song by Josh Kelly that will forever remind me of my Swiss son. The song "Almost Honest". It is not perfect, but it talks of moving on, train rides and never really opening up to a person until it's too late. I think that is the relationship we have with each other. It won't be until he is gone that we can all be honest about how we have changed each other's lives. My Swiss Son also sounds a lot like Josh Kelly when he sings, so that is part of it too.
I know most of these are mellow, and I do have some rock out songs on my list, but I need to save them until Lorraine sends me some of her spring weather.
What about you? Why not give me a couple? Go ahead, the first one to pop in your pretty little head!
Oh, BTW I couldn't help but think of my favorite out of state DJ
Allan as I wrote this. He'll post his Sunday play list and he has some great stuff.
13 comments:
Ever heard 12th of Never?? It's not only a poem, but heard it sung too.
Today my song is:
'I'm An Old Pervert' by the Soft Boys.
Thanks for the nod- got any requests?
*Josh Kelly-I remember now you asked me abt him and his songs. I will go find the specific comment and I will give you (my opinion?).
I like the license to name a song off the top of my head. It gives me the freedom to retract the song and its meanings tomorrow if I so decide.
SO!
(jeez!) Right now:
1. You Don't Own Me, Lesley Gore
2. Evaporated, Ben Folds Five
3. What You Waiting For, Gwen Stefani
What song am I? Probably "I'm a Loser" (Lennon & McCarthy).
dan: STOP IT!
You lie!
You have to do it again!
(yikes, citymouse...hope I didn't over step my boundaries...)
H-m-m-m-m...
Bold as Love, Jimi Hendrix.
Idol is kinda lame this year. Clearly, it will not be one of the guys who wins.
First to come to mind with lyrics is john fogelberg's "Leader of the band..
The theme from "Exodus" feels like me.
Wow, that's a fascinating question. The first thing that comes to mind is Tears for Fears' Shout, but I'd have to think about it more.
Brown Eyed Girl for your daughter? Have you listened to the lyrics for that song? I saw Everclear live a while back and they covered that song. The lead singer dedicated it to his daughter, which was positively creepy.
Anyway, come play in my caption contest!
Great post
I've linked you
hmmm
Green eyed lady, windswept lady
anything Jann Arden
I'll have to think this one out a little more, and make a list.
Thanks everyone!!!
Hey, some guy has been writing about you. He wants to give you something...
Cosmic Thing - The B52's (who else) or praps I am Sailing - Rod Stewart (joking). Teeehee!
Like the choice your daughter made. She has taste!
I am intrigued by the chaos American Idol causes over there, we get it here too, albeit later in the week. Hmmmmm, Lekisha is our fave.
"Deadbeat Club" by the B52s. And the spring weather is so on hold. Sorry, but the shipment has been delayed by flood warnings and frost. I'm working on it.
Post a Comment