Tree lined Hart Street
Ayer St."The Milky Way" Notice the street is painted white!
Great place to watch the parade
My daughter is on this float. It won best of show!When you think about a town festival, it's kind of like looking at the sun set. We can all be sitting together in the back yard, and together we look at the same sun set, but none of us see the exact same sun set. So it is with Milkdays.
There are different types of people who attend Milkdays. Now if you want more info on the fest itself you can find it www.milkdays.com however, it won't tell you the important things. The important things, as you know if you read this blog-- is always the people. So who attends Milkdays?
I know a whole group of people who leave town during Milkdays. Too much noise, too many drunks, too many people come back--- come back home. They have lived here all their lives, and wish they had left, but never did. These are the runners
The first timers never really know what to expect. They come to watch the parade and find that even an hour before it starts all the best seats are gone. They usually drink too much or too little and have an okay time. They can't wait until next year, because then they won't miss the milk chugging contest or the big wheel race.
Those who are fortunate enough to live on the parade route know the code. Blankets out right after the street is painted white (about 4 or 5 AM). NO ONE come inside to use the restroom--the port-a-potty is right on the corner. Be sure to have the cheap beer for passers by and the good stuff for your friends. These folks usually watch for their kids, or friends to walk by in the parade.
Then there are those who come home. I love to watch this group. They are of all ages. I know someone 76 who came back to Harvard just for MilkDays. He and his wife live in Florida, but every year, they are here. They eat at the restaurant and catch up. They talk about how small the band is and how big the houses are. They complain, they laugh and they remember. I envy these people, they seem to connect-- it is wonderful.
Then there are the city friends-- this is my group. I invite them every year! They drink and eat and drink and watch the parade and drink and go on carnival rides and drink more and sit by the fire with us and I know how they feel-- this is the life! And really, it is!!! I drank a whole lot of beer this weekend with these folks. But they only represent what I "did" not the "type" of Milkday attendee I am.
Me, I'm nuts. Yep, I'm a Milkday nut! This year my husband and I volunteered to walk with the High School Band (This was my first experience as a water girl-- I think I did okay) In the past we have organized the big wheel races and have competed in the bed races. It is so much fun when you join in, and I think it sets a good example for those who want to join in. You see, anyone can participate! Okay, your name might not get in the paper and you may not win first prize but you can join in! You don't have to be perfect to participate!
Happy Milkdays everyone!

Here is a baaaddd (oopps is that moo?) picture of Harmilda the plastic cow in the middle of our town that everybody worships.
1 comment:
"They have lived here all their lives, and wish they had left, but never did. These are the runners"
Wow. That's pretty poignant- where do they go when they run?
Milkdays sound fun- I'm guessing Ice Cream is served? Mmmm!
Post a Comment