Today's headlines in the Northwest Herald of course talked of the May 1 march in down town Chicago. My children told me that about half of the kids were missing from school. Well, considering our population is about 45% Hispanic, that seems about right.
The secretaries at the grammar schools had to call each home to make sure the kids were safe and that the parents were aware that their children were out of school. I spoke to one teacher, and she said that her class had not had a chance to talk about it.
So today I spoke with my children and asked them if the march was talked about at school. Neither knew anything about it.
Well, isn't that interesting. No time to talk about it? I think they should have made time to talk about it. I don't think there are any easy answers, but let's just take my little town as an example :
For years, migrant works were shipped -- bussed--- transported---up to area farms. They, the white farmers, would set up camps for these workers and their families. Some of the farmers offered classes for English. And eventually, some of the workers stayed.
Documentation wasn't important to the farmers, it was just important to have the work done for the lowest possible price-- and in a timely fashion. Many of these people raised their families here. So why then, when we have the people right here and the situation right here do we not talk about.
I think it's because most of the people here are bigots. Not all, but many believe problems stem from anyone who is not like them. Tolerance if we have to, they say.... Acceptance no way. They won't talk about it because their opinions are too strong and too negative. If they open their mouths, they will certainly insert their foot.
So tonight, I'll sit with my kids and tell them what I know. Lucky for me my husband grew up out here. He knows about the migrant workers. I can speak of my experience in the city growing up in a Hispanic neighborhood-- and how it felt to be the outsider.
And then
we'll just listen.
Maybe
We can learn something.
No comments:
Post a Comment