I must admit, I enjoy keeping up with my friends on Facebook. I like the quick post that let me know what folks are doing. I like the pictures to see how lives are changing. Facebook is a fun way to stay connected with people I want to keep in my life.
There is one thing I do not enjoy about Facebook- I do not enjoy how some young people use it as a way to say and do things they never would in person.
I watch so many hurtful, mean spirited and suggestive things put up on Facebook. I guess it wouldn't bother me except I really feel these young people would never say or do these things in the real world. If confronted with the same situation, face to face, they would react totally differently. If forced to really communicate with each other, I truly believe these people would compromise. The voice inflections and true intentions would be known. On top of it all, the language used online with acronyms and abbreviations takes away the true emotions of the conversation and intention of the writer. It is easy to hide behind a fuzzy profile picture and a j/k and hope it will all go away.
Once it is written not all your hopes and prayers will erase it. It will be there.
So why not be kind? Find something good to say? Yes, if your hurt and your sad and you need some encouragement you can post and ask for help and ask for advise -- but save the serious stuff for real conversations with real people. Use Facebook to connect in the real world - not to avoid the real world.
I think I will go and post something nice about someone.
No comments:
Post a Comment