Today, I walked into (insert name of drug store chain) to pick up my birth control pills.
I have been using birth control since the birth of my daughter, about 17 years ago. I used birth control in my younger days too. I use birth control for several reasons. The first being is I do not want to have any more children. The second being I really can't afford to have another child. The third being I like having sex with my husband without having to worry about the previous two points mentioned. I also would be concerned about the health of a child I were to conceive at my age.
Another reason I use birth control is because I don't want to have an abortion.
I am pro-choice, and I believe I should have the choice on if I carry a conception and pregnancy to term. By not conceiving, I don't have to have an abortion. Wow, pretty simple.
Now here is the big news, today, for the first time in my 30 or so years of buying birth control on and off, I did not have to pay a co-pay. My choice not to have a child was not controlled by my ability to pay.
This is a way to really empower young woman! I use to have to choose between my birth control and the type of food I purchased. I truly believe that if we really give woman more choices and more power we can change some things for the better. I believe not having to pay for birth control is a good start.
Just a couple of last thoughts. There was a time when I was self employed, had a six figure income, and paid for my own health insurance when many of my counter parts just refused to buy insurance. Obamacare would have really helped me back then with choices. it is way more expensive than you thing.
Also, if you are not pro-choice like me, then you too should be very happy about my post. The best way to prevent abortions is to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
No comments:
Post a Comment