I want you first off to understand that I am very proud of my son and his accomplishments. Nothing here is designed to make little of him, or his friends They all did so well last night. It is just so wonderful to see so many kids put themselves out there. But there were some things that I find amazing and funny and -- well I just need to talk about it all!
First, let's face the facts, we almost lost this young man back in 2008 when the weight machine at the high school collapsed and gave him a lateral skull fracture and full hearing loss in his right ear. I remember when he told me he was never going to sing again. I was crushed, but I didn't listen to him. I forced him; we all forced him to get back on his horse and ride.
Then, through his recovery we fought with the school to understand that this gifted kid was now different. He was cold and much of the joy was sucked out of him. His mood swings were crazy (and sometimes still are) but we got help for that too and fought the school to make sure he had the help he needed.
Zach never looked like a kid with a disability, he didn't look any different. Wait! That is not true. Zach looked very different from the entire student body of his high school! His long hair that always covers his right eye, his skinny jeans, his well starched dress shirts, his skinny 1980's ties, his tight fitting HOB vest -- he looked way different than everyone else, but he didn't look like a kid with a disability.
It was like pulling teeth to get Zach to apply for these local scholarships. I made him apply for 7 different scholarships. He got 6 of them and one he got without knowing.
Funny things -- one of his friends asked me to write a letter of reference for him. I wrote a brief letter, because I don't know him all that well, but I let him know that he and Zach were both going for the same 4 scholarships. Ends up --they both got a piece of the pie on those! I think that is pretty cool.
Zach was called up again and again last night. He would take a picture, go to sit down and then have to get back up again! It was crazy, it was exciting, it was overwhelming.
To be honest, I thought he would get two scholarships. One from our church, and one for kids with disabilities who do well. That was what expected. That is what I hoped for. The night turned out very different. All those conformists, all those good kids -- many did well, but Zach did beyond well. In his skinny jeans and long hair her went before them and he accepted his awards humbly.
And I, I was speechless.
Last day is Friday, the Senior Slide Show. He doesn't want to be there. I am not sure I want to be there... all this ... all these things in 4 years and now on to the next thing. What a kid, what a young man. I am so proud that he never conformed, and he always stayed true to himself. I hope he continues that over the next 4 year, and then way way way into the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment