Friday, June 17, 2011

A letter to my children

My dearest child,

I guess I'm not writing this for you, but for me.

I want so much to help you. I know so much and if you would just listen and follow, just a little, I promise I will make you a bit more prepared for what lies ahead.

I've been there, I know the road, I know the twists and turns and the bumps.

Imagine life is a grand and beautiful mountain. We are all born in the valley and we all climb until the day we die. Some will choose the easy side of the mountain, where there is a clear path. Some will choose to scale the he rocks and forge their own way. Most will switch between both. Many times they will not know what that path ahead looks like. They can't see it from so far down. They will not know what is around the corner. Is it a clear path, a jagged steep clime or a waterfall? The thing is my child, I am about half way up. From here, I can see a few of the paths. I can help be your guide if you let me. My experiences will not be yours. They can not. Yet if you choose to accept them my experiences can serve as a map of what to do where to go and what to leave behind. You should not take any one's path in full but you should look at them follow them for a while, and make your own. Be sure to leave behind what you don't want.

From half way up the mountain, I can tell you many things. I only wish you would stop an listen. I just want you to help guide you so you don't to go around in a circle or have to back track too much.

You will more than likely pass me on the mounting. That is my wish for you. That you pass me and and set your own path much further up than mine went. I have done that too. I have past the places of my great grandmother and grandparents. My journey is far from over, but you have much much further to go than I do!

This is your journey. I only want to try and impart the ancient teaching of Confucius on you -- "By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the most bitter.” I am only trying to keep some of the bitterness out of your life. It's my job. I know you will be making all your decisions on you own. You make so many now. And I see how good they are, even if I don't always tell you or agree. They are yours so they are good for you at the moment you make them! You may look back and wish you would have made other decisions, but I trust your judgement. I know I cannot hang on to you and you don't want me to. I don't want you to. I just want to help.

Enjoy your climb my child. Even if you don't want my guidance today, know that I am always here, no matter what.

1 comment:

grafixgirl said...

I love this