Saturday, January 30, 2010

a voice from the past calls me

I am not really self absorbed. My life has been full of ups and downs. I know that have been people who have made a fortune on what happened to them and where they are now. Movies have been made. I am not that self absorbed.

Or at lease I wasn't until today. Until a voice and words and memories of events that I cant recall reached out to me from Arkansas

A girl from 5th grade found me on facebook. I do remember her, but not like she remembers me.

She told me things about my self -- and i don't recall them.

You always looked so put together (the water was cold and I took a shower / bath maybe twice a week)

You wore the coolest cloths, bell bottoms and such (everything I had was second hand. I remember getting new stuff once a year)

You were such a leader (I was the only white girl -- I felt so different)

You helped me believe in myself and had a profound effect on my life. You made me believe in myself. I will always be grateful for this (are you sure you have the right person?)

I am struggling to think that this is what someone saw in me. That I could be that kind of friend-- way back that with my drunk dad, my screwed up family, my poverty, my life so ordinary and meaningless.

I feel more blessed than I ever have right at this moment. Most people hear these things on their death bed, if at all. I am greatful God made me how I am and who I am and that this light has been shining even when I didnt see it.

Maybe I should write that book.

3 comments:

Sling said...

It's not often,if ever,that we get to know what kind of positive impact we may have had on folks...That's pretty damn cool!
Maybe you should write that book.

Miss Healthypants said...

Aww, I love it, Mouse!! :)

It's amazing what a positive impact we can have on others even when we don't think we're really trying. :) I have a niece that always reminds me of these "sweet e-mails" that I used to write her back when she was in high school...the thing is, I barely remember writing any of them!

Isn't life funny that way? :) Yes, indeed, you should write that book! *smiles*

grafixgirl said...

This is very good. How wonderful to know (now) what an impact (positive) you have made on others lives.