Thursday, October 27, 2005

A Birthday Girl's Gifts

I was born October 28 at 8:46 AM... or so the slip of paper tells me. I was there, I just don't remember it very well. Being that my birthday is so close to Halloween, I don't really recall any parties growing up-- to be honest we lived in a tough neighborhood so I don't remember too many Halloweens either. I started celebrating my birthday at the age of 14, I guess-when I was in high school. I'd look for a cool party to go to, get dressed up in something skanky and have some fun. As the years went by, I found that this type of release was good therapy. It was like everyone celebrated my birthday with me-- even if they didn't know it! To this day I thank God for Jenny and Donna and Kathy and Kathy who always helped it to be a P.A.R.T.Y!

So when I moved out to Harvard, away from the bars and to the sky of big stars, I had to develop new birthday traditions. To keep it meaningful I took something from my childhood and combined it with something from my adult life. So, the tradition of Burgoff Red and whip cream white cake with strawberry filling began. It took me three trys to realize that the cake at Sullivan's Grocery best resembled the cake my grandfather would buy me from the bakery on Milwaukee Ave. I tried the Swiss Made Bakery but it was too dry. The cake from Jewel Food Store in Woodstock didn't even have real strawberries. I had to pay extra for the fresh strawberries but it was well worth it!

Now things have changed a bit. The kids have gotten older and there is always some party or event they want to attend. This weekend we have fundraiser pickup, Halloween party, popcorn sales for scouts, wreath sales for scouts, corn maze for the church youth group, Sunday school, church, martial arts, a meeting after church, and a costume bowling party. Happy birthday to me.... right?

Well, actually, right! You see, when all is said and done the greatest gift I have ever received is my family. My childhood wasn't the best, my adolescents a trial like most and my young adulthood was uneventful; but with my children and husband I have the gift of love. (sappy but true) There is something new around every corner. The days are never dull. When I can't find a smile in my heart due to my cynicism, I hear the laughter of my children and feel hope and warmth. We fight, we rush, we sometimes forget to say what would should and yell "pick up those toys" instead. Nevertheless, I wouldn't give up this life for anything. I feel loved, and secure, and appreciated. I know I make a difference in my children's lives-- and with the volunteer work we do, we may even make a difference in a few other lives to. (as far as the volunteer work I know I get tons more out of it than anyone else-- it's almost selfish!)

So this year- I didn't have time to order the cake, I probably won't get time to pick up my beer, and I won't be out at some trendy club dancing or at a fancy restaurant sipping the best wine they have. The days will be long and I'll be exhausted when it's over and yes I'll be a year older and grateful for it and my wonderful birthday gift.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad I read the blogs that you had written before. I'm so happy to hear that your feelings are so close to my own and that I had a hand in your growing up.