Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Did you ever smoke pot? If you knew you wouldn't go to jail, would you?

What if you could buy it at the corner store.. would you? Even if it were taxed at 50% of the true cost?

Would you drive under the influence of pot. If you did how would anyone know? Oh ya, you'd be driving 20 miles under the speed limit and totally paranoid about you state of intoxication.

It has come to the attention of the media that an award winning athlete (aka Michal Phelps) was caught in a photograph with a bong. Have we forgotten that in 2004 he was CONVICTED of drunk diving? He was 19 years old at the time. Funny how no one brought that up when he won all those metals at the Olympics.. but God for bid.. pot!

I've been thinking, maybe the way to save our economy is to give pot equal rights with alcohol.

I mean other than the thimble full you get at communion on Sunday, how are these two really different?

Think of how empty our prisons would be with out marijuana convictions! The convictions would not be drug related .. they would be tax related!!!! And we could collect money not prison time.

And what if we paid the Afghanistan farmer to grow for us.. not grow opium for the Taliban.

Folks in Jamaica, Mexico, Haiti ... all being able to support themselves through agricultural business.

The American government having real control over it via taxes --- OK many of the boarder patrol would be out of work. I admit I haven't thought that though.

I smoked and sold pot when I was a teenager. There. It is in the public domain. I havent for years... but I cant help but think we are looking at this the wrong way.

Legalize, promote, tax! Let's think outside of the box people!

4 comments:

Miss Healthypants said...

You're preaching to the choir here...I totally believe that weed should be legalized.

And I didn't know that Michael Phelps was convicted of drunk diving when he was 19 (I think you said)! Man, our society and our media is so friggin' bass-ackwards sometimes!!!!

Random Thinker said...

Amen. In my opinion pot doesn't cause nearly as many problems as alcohol does. Imagine all the legal system resources available to handle real crime if we were to legalize marijauana.

Sling said...

..and all this fuss over a picture!
It's not like he was caught smokin' a joint on the Capitol steps.
Where's the proof??
If I was Phelps I'd tell 'em all to bite me!

Anonymous said...

Let me add to the argument:

Children are told that all drugs are bad, they equate pot with drugs instead of alcohol, they find out that pot is really not different than alcohol, and suddenly they equate the other, much more dangerous drugs as well.

And soon your kids are smoking crack, crystal meth, and shooting heroin. Nice message, America.

Pot is no more harmful than beer and needs to treated as such. [steps down from soapbox.]